Provide great advice on how the benefit system works and how to maximise entitlements. You’ll leave the course well informed and able to confidently support your clients through the complex benefit system.
Welfare Benefits Awareness is a full day course providing a thorough knowledge of the welfare system. It is aimed at anyone who provides advice to people who are on benefits but does not assume any prior understanding of how benefits work.
Who Should Attend?
Benefits advisers, employment and self-employment advisers, debt advisers, team leaders, business managers and anyone who wants to better understand how the benefits system works.
Key Learning Objectives
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Identify the main welfare benefits, including the circumstances under which they can be claimed
- Describe the main work incentives under the legacy benefit system and how they differ after welfare reform
- Calculate a basic means test that can be applied to various benefits
- An introduction to the welfare state, benefits and tax credits – what are they?
- Government welfare spending and changes to benefits over recent years
- Introduce the concept of benefit categories
- Means testing – establishing a maximum entitlement
- Means testing – showing how income affects entitlement
- Exploration of the various disability benefits that are available
- Housing Benefit – a look at maximum rents and bedroom calculations
- Changes in circumstance – what needs to be reported and when
- The Benefit Cap – who is affected and how it can be avoided
Ongoing help and advice
All delegates to any of our courses receive ongoing email support from Turquoise Training for 12 months as well as our newsletter. Get thorough answers to all your benefit questions!BOOK NOW!