As the coronavirus crisis has transformed the economy, claims for benefits have gone up by five times the record increase. With more people claiming benefits than ever before and people interacting with the benefits system who have never had contact with it, providing the right advice has never been more crucial.
This course gives you the essential knowledge you need to advise people having to make a claim or who are already on benefits. There have been more changes to the benefits system since the lockdown began than since the welfare reform programme started nearly a decade ago. Make sure you are ready with the right advice to help guide your clients to the best support.
This two hour course is delivered live online using the Blue Jeans conferencing system by one of our expert trainers. All you need is a computer or device with a good internet connection.
Who should attend?
This course assumes little or no knowledge of the benefits system and is suitable for anyone providing benefits advice including employment and self-employment advisers, benefits advisers, customer service officers, team leaders, business managers and anyone who wants to better understand how the welfare benefit system works and give better advice.
Key Learning Objectives
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Identify the main welfare benefits, including the circumstances under which they can be claimed
- Advise on how payments are made and how often
- Describe a basic means test that can be applied to various benefits
- An introduction to the welfare state, benefits and tax credits – what are they, how do you claim and how are you paid?
- Look at the many different types of benefits that are available and split them into categories
- Identify which types of benefits are most suitable for which people
- Means testing – see how households are treated differently dependent on factors like number of children and disability
- Look at how income affects entitlements
- Exploration of the various disability benefits that are available
- Benefits based on your National Insurance record – what are you entitled to if you have paid in
- Look at universal benefits like bereavement or maternity payments
- Changes in circumstance – what needs to be reported and when
- The Benefit Cap – who is affected and how it can be avoided
Turquoise Training and Consultancy provides specialist training and support on Universal Credit, welfare benefits, council tax and adult social care for organisations that provide advice and support. Our courses are designed to help you get to grips with these complex areas in easy to understand, interactive and enjoyable sessions with our experienced and knowledgeable trainers.
Ongoing help and advice
All delegates to any of our courses receive ongoing email support from Turquoise Training for 12 months. Get thorough answers to all your benefit questions!
Current course dates
For our current availability and booking details please use our online booking system