In the days following the start of the government lockdown, Universal Credit claims went through the roof. With 1.5 million new claims made in the first few weeks the Universal Credit system is seeing numbers it wasn’t expecting for years. In preparation for this surge in people claiming, the government has made many changes to how Universal Credit works, increasing entitlements and altering the conditions to claim.
If you provide benefits advice, you need to understand how Universal Credit works in the new era. This live online course is designed to help you guide your clients through the maze of UC. You’ll learn who is eligible for Universal Credit, how to make a claim and how much they’ll get. Make sure you are ready with the right advice to help guide your clients to the best support.
This two hour course is delivered live online using the Blue Jeans conferencing system by one of our expert trainers. All you need is a computer or device with a good internet connection.
Who should attend?
This course assumes little or no knowledge of the benefits system and is suitable for anyone providing benefits advice including employment and self-employment advisers, benefits advisers, customer service officers, team leaders, business managers and anyone who wants to better understand how the welfare benefit system works and give better advice.
Key Learning Objectives
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Identify who is affected by Universal Credit and when
- Describe the Universal Credit application, commitment and sanction process
- Explain how Universal Credit entitlements are worked out
- What is Universal Credit and what benefits does it replace?
- Who can claim and who is ineligible?
- Moving from old benefits onto Universal Credit – who has to do it and what protection can they receive?
- How to make a claim
- The claimant commitment and sanctions
- How payments are made, including advanced payments
- Alternative Payment Arrangements
- Working out how much you can get on Universal Credit
- How disabilities, children and rents affect entitlements
- Assessment periods and changes in circumstance
- How income affects entitlements
Turquoise Training and Consultancy provides specialist training and support on Universal Credit, welfare benefits, council tax and adult social care for organisations that provide advice and support. Our courses are designed to help you get to grips with these complex areas in easy to understand, interactive and enjoyable sessions with our experienced and knowledgeable trainers.
Ongoing help and advice
All delegates to any of our courses receive ongoing email support from Turquoise Training for 12 months. Get thorough answers to all your benefit questions!
Current course dates
For our current availability and booking details please use our online booking system