Gain great insight into this complicated new benefit. Council Tax Support, also called Council Tax Reduction, is the replacement for Council Tax Benefit and changes in different council areas every year. It is claimed by more people than any other benefit. Keep up to date with the latest developments and get a detailed understanding of how it works right now.
Introduction to Council Tax Support is a full day course covering the key knowledge required to give advice around Council Tax Support. It can be expanded to three days to provide a sufficiently detailed understanding of the system for new Council Tax Support assessors. It can be added to our Housing Benefit course for joint Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support officers.
Who should attend?
Local Authority customer service advisers, Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit assessors, Council Tax officers, benefits advisers, team leaders and anyone who wants to better understand how the Council Tax Support system works.
Key Learning Objectives
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Identify who can claim Council Tax Support
- Describe the differences between support for pensioners and working age people
- Explain how Council Tax Support is calculated
- Who can claim Council Tax Support
- When does a claim start and what happens with changes in circumstance
- The prescribed scheme for pensioners
- Local differences in the discretionary scheme for working age people (this can be tailored to individual local authority areas)
- The effect of income and capital on Council Tax Support
- The impact of Universal Credit
- The decision and appeal process
Ongoing help and advice
All delegates to any of our courses receive ongoing email support from Turquoise Training for 12 months as well as our newsletter. Get thorough answers to all your benefit questions!BOOK NOW!